Posts for category: Dental Appliances
Damaged teeth are embarrassing, but modern dentistry has state of the art technology to help you deal with this issue. Dr. Andrew Schmid offers his patients dental crowns at his Manchester, VT, office to mask unsightly teeth.
Here are FAQs about dental crowns:
What are dental crowns?
A dental crown is made out of porcelain or ceramic. Unlike veneers, however, crowns don't just cover the front of your teeth. They're caps that fit over the unattractive, decayed or damaged tooth. Crowns can even be used to replace a missing tooth when your dentist installs a dental bridge over your gums.
What does the installation procedure include?
There are three steps to getting your unsightly tooth capped:
- Step 1: Your dentist will numb the area surrounding the tooth and begin drilling to file down the tooth. This is done to reshape the tooth so it fits under the crown. If there isn't very much natural tooth to begin with, your Manchester dentist will use a filling material to build up whatever exists of the natural tooth.
- Step 2: A crown is designed at a laboratory using impressions taken of your teeth. The impressions are taken digitally or with the use of a putty-like material and are used as a guide so that laboratory technicians can mold a crown that'll fit perfectly over your tooth.
- Step 3: The permanent crown is cemented over the tooth using a specific type of cement or resin.
What are the advantages of crowns?
Besides making your smile more aesthetically pleasing, crowns have other advantages:
- They're used to cover restorative procedures such as root canals and dental implants.
- They give your teeth reinforcement, therefore improving your bite and capability to chew.
- Crowns also support fillings that have been dislocated.
- Several crowns can be used if you have more than one tooth that needs to be covered.
How can I take care of my teeth?
Improve your dental care by brushing twice a day and flossing at least once before bed. In addition to maintaining a healthy oral regimen, make sure to visit your dentists twice a year for your bi-annual examination.
Need a consultation?
If you have any questions or concerns, call Dr. Schmid at his Manchester, VT, office today!
When you’re searching for ways to perfect your smile, Invisalign may be the answer. With the help of Dr. Andrew Schmid in Manchester, VT you can straighten your teeth to how you’ve always wanted. Our dentist can examine you thoroughly and decide whether or not you’re a viable candidate for this cosmetic dentistry procedure.
More about Invisalign in Manchester
Invisalign is a removable, comfortable and invisible treatment option. It is a great way to straighten the teeth without metal braces. Our dentist offers Invisalign to teenagers and adults. With Invisalign, a series of clear and removable aligners are used to straighten the teeth. There are no brackets or wires leading to a more comfortable experience. Invisalign has been proven to successfully shift the teeth to their desired position without discomfort or pain.
The Invisalign patient wears custom aligners throughout the day. They are only removed to brush, floss, eat or drink. The dentist will replace the aligners each week to continue the teeth shifting process that is tailor made for their teeth. These aligners use the right force at the right time to promote this movement. This continues throughout the entire treatment period that is mapped out by Dr. Schmid for each patient.
The aligners themselves are made of a durable material that is long-lasting and also protects both the teeth and the enamel. These aligners are custom made for each patient. Alignment changes in the teeth will be noticed throughout the treatment process. This will lead to a more straight and healthier smile by the end of the Invisalign treatment process.
In order to learn more about Invisalign in Manchester, VT and what it can do for your smile, schedule an informative appointment with Dr. Schmid today by calling 802-362-2345.