Posts for category: Dental
Are you doing everything you can to keep your smile healthy? Poor dental hygiene can lead to a variety of oral health problems including tooth decay, gum disease, and tooth loss. A healthier mouth can also create a healthier body. Many medical problems are linked to bad oral hygiene including cardiovascular disease, stroke, dementia, arthritis, and more. Dr. Andrew Schmid is one of the finest dentists in Manchester, VT.
1. Brush Twice a Day- brushing cleanses the teeth of food particles, plaque, and bacteria. Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft toothbrush. When your toothbrush starts to look frayed, it's time to invest in a new one. A worn toothbrush won’t do a good job of cleaning your teeth.
2. Floss Once a Day- The ADA recommends cleaning between your teeth every day with an interdental cleaner (like dental floss). Flossing removes food particles and plaque that collects at the gum line. Flossing regularly helps to prevent gum disease and tooth decay. Flossing also helps polish the tooth's surface and control bad breath.
3. Ditch the Sugar- Cut back on how much sugar you eat. Eating too much sugar can lead to tooth decay. Be sure to brush your teeth after consuming sugary foods or beverages. Sugars are the leading cause of decay in children and adults, according to new research published in the journal BMC Public Health.
4. Dental Checkups- You should have a regular dental checkup at least every 6 months. During your checkup, your dentist will check for tooth decay by examining your teeth and looking at X-rays, which can show the extent of tooth decay. Your dentist will examine your gums for signs of periodontal disease.
5. Dental Cleanings- To keep your smile healthy, you should get a professional dental cleaning at least twice a year. A dental cleaning is a procedure that involves removing plaque and tartar that may develop even with careful brushing and flossing. Regular dental cleanings can prevent tooth decay, gum disease, oral infections, and tooth loss.
Caring for your teeth is an important part of keeping you healthy—and it's never too early to get started! To keep your oral health on track, call our dental office at 802-362-2345 today to schedule an appointment in Manchester, VT. You deserve to have a smile that is both healthy and beautiful.
Do you hide your teeth when you smile? Then, you're like thousands of Americans who do. You all want your teeth and gums to look good and to represent your true personalities. At the offices of Dr. Andrew Schmid, patients take advantage of the many outstanding treatments offered by this Manchester, VT, cosmetic dentist. From simple teeth whitening to porcelain veneers and complete smile makeovers, Dr. Schmid does it all with your highest expectations in mind.
The changes you want
Before you consult Dr. Schmid, have your own plan in mind. Do you want to fill some small gaps? Does your tooth color need brightening? Is a beautifully even Hollywood smile your dream?
Then go talk to Dr. Schmid. He'll perform an oral examination and take some X-rays to fully understand your oral health and structure. You and he will discuss your ideas and together decide on what treatments will help you have that rejuvenated smile.
Cosmetic dentistry services in Manchester, VT
Professional teeth whitening Using powerful hydrogen peroxide gel, this popular treatment powers out years of stains caused by smoking, dark foods and beverages and more. Accomplished either at home or in the office, fully supervised whitening changes tooth color by up to eight shades, and your teeth and gums sustain no damage or sensitivity. The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry says that most people pick teeth whitening before any other cosmetic dental service.
Composite resin bonding This uses a tooth-colored putty and special curing light to remake small defects such as chips, cracks, and gaps. Strong and natural-looking, bonding creates seamless repairs that last for years. This is the same material used in white dental fillings.
Porcelain veneers Veneers are tooth-shaped shells of dental grade porcelain. Customized according to oral impressions, your preferences and Dr. Schmid's careful instructions, veneers bond to the front of teeth damaged by deep stains, cracks, pits and more. They are a permanent refurbishment that can last for ten years or more with good care.
Invisalign clear aligners These are a great alternative to traditional orthodontics. Straightening a variety of smile alignment issues, Invisalign appliances are thin, clear, removable, and comfortable. Plus, they finish their work in about half the time of metal or ceramic braces.
Cosmetic contouring Contouring gently reshapes tooth enamel with fine grit sandpaper, your dentist's drill and other handheld tools. This process smooths small flaws and evens tooth length quickly and economically. Often, it is the finishing touch on a complex smile makeover.
Dr. Schmid and his team are excited to help their patients look and feel their very best. For more information or to arrange your cosmetic dentistry consultation in Manchester, VT, call the office at (802) 362-2345.
Maintaining a good oral regimen is vital for your health. Sometimes, however, the brushing and flossing can't prevent a tooth being knocked out due to injuries, like when playing a sport. That's why Dr. Andrew Schmid of Manchester, VT, provides his patients with dental implants.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are state-of-the-art installations that are used to fix gaps in your smile. The process of getting a dental implant is straightforward. Dr. Schmid applies local anesthesia to the problem area and removes any remnants of the old tooth, drills into the jawbone and inserts a titanium post. The titanium post is biocompatible, so your body will not reject it.
Afterwards, he will surgically seal the area and give you a temporary crown. The titanium post will need to osseointegrate, which takes three to six months. This process simply means the titanium post will fuse with the bone, therefore giving your support and strength.
When the three to six months pass, you will go back to Dr. Schmid. He will re-open the area and attach an abutment and a permanent crown that matches the rest of your teeth. You can walk out of his Manchester office with a complete smile.
How do I care for my implants?
The advantages of implants are that they have a high success rate, can last a lifetime and you can receive multiple implants, not just one. Some people have all their teeth replaced with dental implants.
Taking care of your implants isn't difficult. It's the standard oral regimen of brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing, at least once, before bed. Also, stay away from sugary foods. Sugar contains bacteria that produce plaque. The build-up of plaque can lead to cavities or something worse, like periodontal disease.
For more information about dental implants, call Dr. Schmid. His office is conveniently located in Manchester, VT, so make sure you schedule an appointment as soon as you can.
A severe toothache or pain when biting down can both be signs you may need a root canal. There are several other signs, as well. If you do have any of the signs associated with needing a root canal, see a dentist as soon as possible. Undergoing root canal therapy in time can save a damaged or decaying tooth so that extraction can be avoided. Dr. Andrew Schmid offers root canal therapy in Manchester, VT.
Root Canal Therapy
Root canal therapy preserves teeth that would otherwise require extraction. Teeth that have developed an infection due to either damage sustained from an injury or extensive decay resulting in the formation of an abscess below the tooth can potentially benefit from root canal therapy. The procedure involves the dentist removing the infected pulp inside. After removing infected pulp, the interior of the tooth is cleaned out, then filled in with an inert material, and is typically protected with a dental crown, leaving the tooth stronger and healthier than before.
Root Canal Signs
There are several signs you may need a root canal. In Manchester, root canal therapy can be performed in your dentist’s office. Some of the signs associated with the need for a root canal include:
- Developing a severe toothache
- Suffering from sharp pain whenever you bite down or chew
- Experiencing significant pain in the mouth
- Feeling persistent pressure in the mouth
- Developing sensitivity to foods and beverages that are extremely hot or cold
Benefits of Root Canals
Root canal therapy offers multiple benefits, including preservation of the natural tooth. Additionally, the procedure for root canal therapy is as simple as having a cavity filled. Other benefits of root canal therapy include:
- Preserving the natural tooth
- Eliminating the need for extraction
- Eliminating toothache pain
- Preventing an infection or decay from spreading
- Strengthening weak or damaged teeth
- Restoring normal tooth functioning
If you are experiencing such symptoms as a severe toothache, sharp pain when biting down or extreme sensitivity to hot and cold food items, these are all signs you may need a root canal. For root canal therapy in Manchester, VT, schedule an appointment with Dr. Schmid by calling (802) 362-2345.
Welcome to the Blog of Andrew Schmid, DDS
Whether you are an existing patient or searching for a dentist in the Manchester, VT area, we’re excited you are here. With the dental industry advancing, we recognize the importance of keeping our patients and visitors up to date with all of the new and exciting things taking place in our practice.
As we move forward with our blog, we hope to promote dental awareness as a vital part of your healthy lifestyle. Here you will find a variety of articles and topics including dental news, advancements in dental technology and treatments, practical oral health advice and updates from our practice.
We hope you find our blog to be helpful, engaging and informational to ensure your best dental health.
As always, feel free to contact our Andrew Schmid, DDS office with any dental questions or concerns.
-- Andrew Schmid, DDS